Sunday 22 April 2012

Semiotics


This post is about an interesting factor of the nature and knowledge of reality. 


What is Semiotic and why is it prominent nowadays?


Semiotics is the study of signs and symbols (the literal, physical and vocal meaning of the words or objects) and the meaning that you, with your biography and background, associate to it.


In university, during a lecture, my professor pointed out the use of the words as a sound, detaching them from the meaning. If I have to think about a language that I do not know it is easy to figure it out. The comedian Carl Barron uses this concept to entertain his public. In one of his sketched he said: "Word is the noise for word" (Barron, 2006). From that moment I started to listen to the words having in mind that they are sounds that have been chosen for me to be able to have an opinion, a voice.

A brilliant example of semiotic in the art field is the "Blabla table and chairs" by Delphine Boel.
The Belgian Artist communicates the importance of identity and of communication playing with the meaning of the words and the objects.


I found her piece effective and, in a playful way, able to decisive reflection.



Can we identify communication as the currency of the world?


What is a coffee table? What do I use it for?



What does my imprint says about me and my identity? Why is it golden?


What about if my identity is stolen by someone else? Is it not me anymore?




Can Art become a form of identity?



   



Reference:

Paul Cobley, Introducing semiotics ( Thriplow : Icon, 2004)

Umberto Eco, A theory of semiotics ( London : Macmillan, 1977)

Available at: <http://www.delphineboel.com/details.php?portfolio=yes&id=83> [Accessed 16 February 2012]


No comments:

Post a Comment